B

Charleston Edition: Ellen's Homemade Ice Cream

By Candace Nelson - 8:03 AM

After dinner, we hopped over to Ellen's Homemade Ice Cream. This small shop has a few places to sit, and from looking at their menu, they also serve lunchtime cuisine - wraps, salads sandwiches. It's right across from Taylor Books, and I was told that I must try their ice cream. Homemade anything tends to be better, and as ice cream is basically my favorite dessert, I figured this couldn't go too wrong.

We walk in, and the ordering area is to the left. I didn't see any to-go menus, so I was forced to use the large chalkboard menu on the far wall behind the register. I get that it's a cool little homemade ice cream shop, but I really hate menus that hand behind the clerk's head because while the clerk stares at me, I have to stare at the menu until I've decided what I want. So, I quickly picked two types that I wanted to try: Heath ice cream and raspberry sherbet. I simply asked for one scoop each, in a cup, so I could test them out. I was shocked when the total came to $8. For two scoops of ice cream? Plus, they charge 5% extra if you use a card. This place was getting low marks from me very quickly.

My two scoops are on the edges.
We sat down at a table to feast on our sweets. I first tried the raspberry sherbet. I feel like there are two kinds of raspberry flavored things you can get: the one that is vibrant and full of flavor, and the one that is lacking and not as great - like dark chocolate. This fell into the latter. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't choose it again. I left that one and started on the Heath ice cream. For those who don't know, Heath bars are chocolate and toffee and oh so yummy. This ice cream scoop did not disappoint. I'm glad I got two, because my review could have been very skewed. The Heath ice cream was creamy vanilla bean flavored with chunks of chocolate-covered toffee mixed throughout. It was exactly what I was hoping for, and the vanilla base was exquisite. A cone would have been even better.

Grade: B
Ellen's Homemade Ice Cream on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.