A

Wellsburg Edition: Drovers Inn & Tavern

By Candace Nelson - 8:00 AM

Drovers is about one mile from the house I grew up in. Despite its proximity, I rarely went because my family couldn't afford it. But, I know it's a legend in my hometown and the surrounding areas. People travel from all over for Drovers' wings. I'm not a huge fan of wings, so I had actually never had them until this past weekend.

I met my cousin, Chelsey, and good friend, Amanda, here on Friday as soon as they opened, 5 p.m. Drovers has some history behind it, as it used to help travelers. There is also an accompanying historic building beside it, which I believe now is used as a lodge. Because we were there so early, we were seated right away. The house has a few dining areas, a blue dining room, a red dining room, sitting room, back area, and the basement is the tavern. We were seated to the left, in the blue room.


There are glass vases and ornaments placed on every shelf, and the room is decorated quite classicly. At the table is already a bowl with moist towelettes and napkins inside. I browsed my menu and decided on the honey-BBQ wings. I ordered one pound, which is 7 to 9 wings = $5.75. I also ordered a tossed salad for $2.99. Maybe it's because I'm used to Morgantown prices, but I thought this was more than reasonable.

We waited a little while for our food to come out. My salad came out before anything else, and I was happy because I was starving. Complete with a cup of orange French dressing and a garlic stick, the salad was packed with lettuce, tomato, olives, cucumber and some cabbage. I was a little hesitant because the French dressing was orange, but I tasted it, and was pleased. It was creamier, not as acidic, and just a touch tangy. The veggies were average, and the garlic bread was a nice touch on the side - soft and warm complement to the salad.

Finally, our main dishes came out. My wings were served in a small basket, along with the ranch I had asked for and a celery sticks. I wasn't extra, as other reviewers have said. Thank goodness I was in the company of good friends because I probably looked like a monster trying to down the wings. I usually don't order wings because I hate seeing a bone in my food - prissy, I know. But, on a certain level, it grosses me out. Also, it's really difficult to eat without looking disgusting. This is the first time I've ordered bone-in wings in I couldn't tell you how long. I do like boneless. But these wings are legendary, and my friends know I'm ridiculous, so I dug in.

The wings are excellent. I was so happy I wasn't let down since they were talked up so much. There was a good mixture of drumsticks and wings. The wings are fairly large and the outside was crispy. I usually peel off the skin, because the texture is gross, but these were cooked perfectly. The meat inside was tender and juicy. The sauce was divine - this wasn't a typical honey-bbq sauce you buy at the grocery store. It was delicious. It was sweet and tangy and a little spicy, but overall delicious.

It was definitely one of the best wings I had ever had. I took full advantage of the moist towelettes, as the sauce was everywhere. But it was more than worth it, and I was happy to pay my $10 for that meal. You won't find another deal like that anywhere around.

Grade: A
Drover's Inn on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Nothing beats Drovers wings! They might be pricey, but they're so worth it!

    ReplyDelete

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.