A

Peking House

By Candace Nelson - 8:00 AM

Peking House is one of the few sit-down Chinese restaurants in town. Want Chinese food, but without the tackiness of a buffet? Peking House is definitely the way to go. Peking House is located on Van Voorhis Road, with plenty of parking, and some great service.

When my friend and I walked in, we were immediately seated, with a pot of hot tea awaiting us as well as two glasses of water. Our waitress was very sweet and accommodating - she even asked us if we had a preference where we sat. The menu consisted of a page of chef specialties, and then the usual dining options - some appetizers, then pork, beef, seafood and chicken options.


I ultimately decided on my old faithful options: an order of cheese wontons and sweet and sour chicken. I had been craving rice pudding all day. On a whim, my friend asked if they happened to have it. While our waitress had no idea what we were talking about, she then brought out her manager who talked to us about rice pudding. He wasn't really sure what we were asking for either, but he joked with us about it for a minute and tried to address our question the best he could.


Our waitress brought out a big platter of rice, which you share. This communal rice dish is kind of cool because it's more intimate. Plus they bring you as much as you need.

The cheese wontons were a little different than what I'm used to. They were basically all cream cheese inside. I like it when there's a good bite of crab and some other herbs in there, rather than plain cream cheese.

Our food was served on these large dishes. We also had smaller dishes where we could combine the rice and our entree. Mine came out piping hot and delicious. Large chunks of battered white chicken with some green bell peppers, carrots, and pineapple chunks in a tangy sweet and sour sauce. I can't say a bad thing about this dish. It seems like it was prepared meticulously with a lot of love. It was delicious. The veggies were fresh. The chicken was of good quality, and I loved the textures of the veggies and flavors of the sauce.

My whole meal was cheaper than what I'd pay for delivery for a single entree. And the quality is much better. This restaurant is truly a little gem in Morgantown. I even had some to take home. But, I think my fortune is a little off.

Grade: A
Peking House Chinese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.