A

Jay's Getaway

By Candace Nelson - 8:00 AM

Jay's Getaway? The three-year-old local craft beer haven, which boasts more than 100 beers (and wine), has food? They DO. I was just as surprised as anyone else. How had I missed the paper menus behind the counter? Not sure, but recently, I saw another patron order a sandwich and I wanted to get in on the action.

This giant (yet tiny) beer garden is tucked away on Chestnut Street. It's quite small inside, but it's usually not too crowded and you can sometimes snag a seat on the comfy couches or one of the couple tables. Pick up a beer list and choose something different - this is the place to do it. The bartenders are very knowledgeable and friendly. The interior is modern, simple, neat. The crowd is generally a bit older (and by that, I mean, not 18-22).


There's a board on the wall above the entrance that keeps track of top patrons' beer progress. Some people have more than 100 next to their name. You can keep a beer card in the container to keep track. Once you hit around 80 beers, you have a chance of going up on the wall.

They have six beers on tap, tons of bottles, and some food. They have four $6 paninis, as well as some pretzel rods, nuts, pickled eggs, and a cheese/meat/olive plate. I didn't realize they had food and had just eaten before, so I opted for the small cheese/meat/olive plate so all my friends could pick at it, too.

In the meantime, I had a Wild Blue (yummily sweet) and a pumpkin cider, which pleasantly got me feeling very fall-ish. The bartender brought out the tray, and I was still shocked they had food. I don't know where they keep it. I don't think they have a kitchen.

The tray seems as though it could be a good complement to many types of beers. The olives were spicy, while the salami was dry, slightly smoked. Crackers salty and cheese was creamy and smooth. I also got a side of spicy mustard, which you could taste hints of horseradish. I ended up making tiny sandwiches all night long.

Clearly, the standout here is the beer. I'm not sure you have a better selection in the area, and if you are clueless (like me), the bartenders are totally willing to help you find something you like. Some finger foods, awesome ambiance, amazing bartenders and more beer than you can imagine - what's not to like? Open Monday thru Friday 4 p.m. to midnight and Saturday 7 p.m. to midnight.

Grade: A
Jay's Getaway on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.