A

Sun Crest Pub/Nickel

By Candace Nelson - 8:00 AM

I heard from some reliable sources that the Suncrest Pub / Nickel has a damn good burger. Their sign on the outside claims "Best Burger in Town."

It was formerly called the "Wooden Nickel," I think. And now I hear it sometimes referred to as the Nickel. Any way you slice it, it's more of a townie bar. I didn't even realize this place served food, because from the outside, it just seems like a hotspot. Located at 3192 Collins Ferry Road, it's right in Suncrest.

But as soon as you walk inside, there definitely is a bar area. The food options are pretty limited, though. I walked in, sat at the bar and asked for a menu. The server kind of laughed and said it was really outdated and they're out of a lot of stuff, so a menu wouldn't really be helpful. She then began to ramble off everything they didn't have.

But I knew I wanted a burger, so I put that order in. With ketchup, mustard, mayo, onion and tomato. Looking around, I could feel eyes on us. We weren't recognized, but that was okay. I was starving and ready for this half-pound burger.

When it came out, I was pleased to see it served on warm grilled Texas toast. That's exciting. It was huge, messy and filled with prime ingredients. And boy was it tasty. Might have to put aside the exterior, the service and some of the unwelcoming eyes, because this burger was one of the best in town. The meat was seasoned with hints of garlic, onion, and salt. The warm, buttered Texas Toast hugs that half-pound patty with your choice of preferred fixins'. Mine had the sweet ketchup, tangy mustard and a crisp, fresh onion on top. For about $5, it's a bargain. I don't think I've ever had a bar burger quite as good.

Grade: A

Sun Crest Nickel on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.