A

Steubenville, OH Edition: Yorgo's Gyros-Potatoes

By Candace Nelson - 11:46 AM

Yorgo's GyrosYorgo's GyrosYou have not had a gyro (Jy-Roh or Yir-Oh - doesn't matter), until you've had Yorgo's.

Situated in an otherwise unassuming area of Steubenville, this restaurant is well-known in the area for having the best gyros. They're huge, delicious and cheap. I'm not really sure what else you could want.

Yorgo's GyrosWhen I was visiting home, my parents and I went over to fill our bellies. My family and I walked in and already knew what we wanted, really. I ordered their classic gyro. I state time and time again that french fries are not typically my favorite, but because "potatoes" is also in the name, I had to try it. We got a giant plate of fries with cheese to share. You order at the counter and they hand it off to your when it's finished.

Oh, and I somehow convinced my parents to let me have a piece of baklava, too. Hey, it's nice when mom and dad buy.

Yorgo's GyrosYorgo's GyrosThey slice of slivers of lamb from a giant skewer, pile it on a fluffy pita and top it with lettuce, tomato, onions and their delicious cucumber sauce. By the time it was handed over to me, it was this giant behemoth of a sandwich that looked at me intimidatingly.

Devoured. Here's the problem, though. If it's really a problem. It's so huge that you actually run out of PITA before you run out of meat. Unheard of. But it happens here. I had a few chunks of meat leftover because my stomach would hate me (more so than it already did) if I finished it off.

Yorgo's GyrosBut it's Grade A meat. Not a single imperfection. The toppings are fresh as could be, and the tzatziki sauce is what dreams are made of.

The french fries were also pretty bangin. It was a huge plate - crispy on the outside, soft potato on the inside. And just topped with cheddar and mozzarella cheese and melted atop the steaming batch.

The baklava was the best I've had. I sometimes find with the nuts that it gets dry and too crunchy and brittle.

Yorgo's GyrosThis was so good. It was soaking up the perfect amount of honey that made is a sticky, sweet triangle of deliciousness.

Oh, and they give free refills.

Grade: A
Yorgo's Gyros-Potatoes on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.