The 2013 Nelson Ratings

By Candace Nelson - 9:00 AM

The Nelson Ratings
Get it? Like the Nielsen Ratings? I thought it was clever - compliments to my friends for the wordplay. But anyway. Around this time of year, we see tons of award shows - Emmys, Grammys, Oscars, Tonys, etc. or we'll at least be hearing about them soon. Even Morgantown Magazine will come out with their Best Of Morgantown list. I often get asked "what's your favorite restaurant in Morgantown?" Well, here you go. I'm hoping I didn't forget many or leave many out. Let me know your favorites!

Pizza
1. Pizza Al's
My first experiences in Morgantown began living in Pierpont my freshman year. It didn't take long for my roommates and I to discover Pizza Al's, then subsequently stuff our faces with an entire pizza at least once a week. Huge, flat slices with a perfectly seasoned sauce and tons of cheese make this my #1 choice, hands down.
> Runners-up: PeppeBroni's, Milano's

Pizza II - Specialty Pies
1. Mountain State Brewing Company
Specialty pies get a special category because sometimes you just want a typical cheese pizza. Other times, you're feeling more adventurous. Mountain State has probably the coolest environment in town - laidback, relaxed, cool craft beer and delicious, creative pizzas. Try the Cuban if you haven't already.
> Runners-up: New Day Bakery, Vintage Room

Indian
1. Mother India
Try their buffet on Sundays. Chicken Tikka Masala? Gulab Jamun? Samosas? Pakora? It's all there, and it's all delicious. And if you're unsure about what to try, nothing is better than a buffet where you get to try a little of everything and discover your favorites!
> Runner-up: Saffron

Mediterranean
1. Ali Baba's
In the mood for hummus or falafel? Why not enjoy it while watching planes take off into the sky? In addition to the excellent service and atmosphere, the food is delicious and of the highest quality.
> Runner-up: Mediterranean Market and Deli

Italian
1. Puglioni's Pasta and Pizza
Their pasta carbonara is the stuff dreams are made of - oh, and that bread! If you want to splurge on your carbs for the day, there's no better way to do it than Puglioni's. It's homey, cozy, delicious and there's no way to leave still hungry.
> Runners-up: Agresti's Tuscan Grill, Oliverio's Marketplace, Oliverio's Ristorante

Sushi
1. Volcano Japanese Restaurant
I fell in love with Volcano when I first wrote about its opening in town. I tried a few rolls - the West Virginia roll and the Candy Cane roll. To this day, I still order a West Virginia roll 90% of the time. It's just so good.
> Runners-up: Yama Japanese Restaurant, Ogawa Japanese Restaurant

Asian
1. Chaang Thai
> Runners-up: Peking House, WV Panda

Take-Out
1. China One
> Runner-up: Lavender Cafe

I started this list a while ago, but then I got a job and moved, so I wanted to at least publish what I have so far. And if I find the time to finish this up with the other categories I had or start a Charleston one ... we'll see.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.