Bar

Taco Tuesday

By Candace Nelson - 3:11 PM

Taco Tuesday
Fellow Morgantown foodie and great food photographer Sher Yip has sang the praises of Fat Daddy's Taco Tuesday for quite some time now.

Fat Daddy's isn't exactly my type of place, but this is a cool special they have going on, and people come here just for this reason. They don't typically serve any type of Mexican food - just on this day, that I know of.

The menu features about 16 different tacos ranging from $1 to $2.50. So, pretty cheap.

But they also have lots of different kinds - ranging from a "basic" $1 taco with just meat (chicken, beef or pork) and cheese or the "taco" which is meat (chicken, beef or pork) with lettuce, cheddar jack blend, sour cream and salsa.

The "bro" is also $1, which has taco meat, nacho cheese and salsa.

The $1.50 level features the "baja" with chicken, beef or pork, topped with cilantro lime slaw, black bean sweet corn salsa and baja sauce. There's also the "buffalo blue" with chicken or pork, tossed in mild sauce, topped with blue cheese slaw and cheddar jack. At $1.50 is also "the twist" which has chicken ,beef or pork topped with lettuce, cheddar jack blend, jalapenos, avocado spread and salsa.

The remainder are $2.50: "Carolina BBQ" with slow roasted pork in Carolina gold BBQ sauce and apple slaw; "avocado chicken" with chicken topped with avocado lime slaw, cheese, salsa and avocado slices; "Korean BBQ" with steak, cooked in Korean BBQ sauce with cheddar and apple slaw; "tequila shrimp" with fried shrimp tossed in their tequila lime sauce, cheddar cheese and ranch slaw; "jambalaya" with sauteed shrimp and smoked sausage, provolone cheese and apple slaw; "blackened shrimp" with blackened shrimp, Cajun mayo, lettuce, tomato and provolone; "avocado carnitas" with homemade slow roasted pulled pork topped with avocado lime slaw, cheese, salsa and avocado slices; "the big kahuna" with pulled pork, pineapple, apple slaw and BBQ sauce; "jalapeno fish tacos" with tilapia, provolone-mozzarella blend and creamy jalapeno slaw; and "the spring break" with broiled tilapia, lettuce, tomato and cilantro-lime vinaigrette.

A friend ordered four , and I did the same, and we split them. They all really look the same, so we did a process of elimination with the menu and dissected flavors to figure out which is which. So, the ones I was able to try were:

    Taco Tuesday
  • Baja (with chicken) - In my notes, I wrote "cool." And I do remember it being cooler than the others, but that's just probably because of the slaw, salsa and sauce. I was OK with this one. Not tons of flavor, but average.
  • Buffalo Blue - I really thought I'd like this one, but I wasn't a huge fan. Not a great balance between the buffalo flavor and blue flavor. The blue cheese taste was nonexistent, and I think if it had been crumbles, this would've made it way better.
  • Carolina BBQ - Of course I like this one. I love BBQ. Good flavor, but wish the chunks in the apple slaw were a bit smaller.
  • Korean BBQ - my favorite. But I love Korean BBQ. I like the sweet smokiness, and the slaw was a nice cool balance.
  • The Twist (with beef) - this was a pretty basic taco, but it had jalapenos in it. Just a slight bit spicy, but pretty safe if you're looking to be a little less adventurous. This was our only taco with beef, but it was good overall.
  • Jambalaya - one of my favorites. It's different, but I love love love jambalaya. Just slightly spicy, but good flavor. Also nice to have some shrimp and sausage to mix up typical meats.
  • Avocado Carnitas - a bit lighter, cooler taco in comparison to the heavy BBQ ones I had. I'm a fan of avocado, so I was OK with this.
  • The Big Kahuna - Also a pretty good taco - the pulled pork, pineapple and slaw are a great combo for me. Really, it's clear I'm a fan of their BBQ. It was good.

Taco TuesdaySher suggested staying away from the bro, because it was too messy, and the tequila shrimp. So I avoided those. I wish I would've tried one of the shrimp or fish ones, but I didn't have high hopes for either so I avoided.

Service was ... interesting. It's clear we weren't the center of our waitress' eye, but when I would go ask for things, she would help. Not necessarily with a smile, but she did help.

But overall, it's fun there's so much variety for a cheap price, and it's a nice way to spend a Tuesday evening, with a couple beers, and not go home broke.

Fat Daddy's Bar & Grill on Urbanspoon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.