Pittsburgh Strip District trip

By Candace Nelson - 10:00 AM

Pittsburgh Strip District

The Pittsburgh Strip District is the perfect foodie getaway from Morgantown. It's just about an hour and a half north and is filled with a ton of little shops - especially ones filled with delicious food. My friend and foodie extraordinaire Joel Brown was kind enough to help show me the ropes, and we also recruited Ann, eternal optimist and adventurer, to join us. 

Pittsburgh Strip District

21st Street Coffee and Tea: Joel and Ann love the lattes from this place. So, of course, I had to get a latte. It was the first stop, so it was nice to get some caffeine bright and early in the morning. I don't drink a lot of coffee, but this one was pretty good. And look how cute that latte art is?

2002 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-281-0809
21streetcoffee.com

21st Street Coffee and Tea on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District
Peace, Love & Little Donuts: Ann required a mini donut, so we squished into this little place. I got a blueberry donut. I know Joel says they're made from mix, but I actually enjoyed it. Plus I'm not sure I've ever actually had a blueberry donut? Tasty.

2018 Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412-489-7693
www.peaceloveandlittledonuts.com

Peace, Love and Little Donuts on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

The Enrico Biscotti Company: Yum! I ordered a white chocolate biscotti from the case, but I saved it until I got home. And it was delicious! I love a good biscotti, and this one hit the spot.

2022 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-281-2602
contact: Larry Lagattuta
www.enricobiscotti.com

Enrico Biscotti on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

Lotus Food: I love Asian markets! They're confusing and overwhelming, but there is so much to explore! I wanted to get a few frozen things, but since we still had a ways to go, I didn't want anything to go bad. Next time.

1649 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412-281-3050

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Wholey's Fish Market: Samples of soup and cider sold me on this place instantly. There are just rows after rows of fresh seafood - anything you could possibly want. Fish and scallops and crab and everything I love. Remind me to bring a full cooler next time.

1711 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-391-3737
contact: Robert Wholey
www.yahoo.com/wholey

Wholey's Fish Market on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

Penzeys Spice Company: AN ENTIRE STORE DEDICATED TO SPICES!! I like spices because, even though I can't cook, spices make my cooking mostly edible. I picked up some garlic, sandwich sprinkle, pasta sprinkle and crystalized ginger. Mmmm.

1729 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-434-0570
www.penzeys.com

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District
Pittsburgh Strip DistrictPittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Little Bangkok: We had been snacking a bit, but when it was time for lunch, we settled in at Little Bangkok. There were a number of thai dishes, but I wanted to try the pad thai because the only other I've ever had was in Morgantown. Spoiler alert: I actually liked Morgantown's better, but the drunken noodles were delicious. I'll definitely have to get those if I go back.

1906 Penn Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 586-4107
http://littlebangkokinthestrip.com/

Little Bangkok in the Strip on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pennsylvania Macaroni Company: This place is a major player in the Strip District. Pennsylvania Macaroni Company has a large cheese counter, which is crazy intimidating. You take a number and they call you up. But the board of cheeses is huge, and it's not as though there are descriptions for each cheese, you just get a country and a kind of cheese. The lady, who calls everyone "dearheart," doesn't mess around. Joel mostly communicated, and I ended up with a double cream gouda and a cave-aged gruyere. And sweet jesus, these were amazing. I also bought some pizza crusts, some pizza sauce, and some dried kiwi in addition to the cheeses. The gouda was the perfect topping for the pizzas. So good.

2010-12 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-471-8330
contact: David Sunseri
www.pennmac.com

Pennsylvania Macaroni Co on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

Parma Sausage Products, Inc.: We stopped in here briefly to check it out. I was super tempted to buy some prosciutto, but I ended up holding off for now. Joel ended up getting some sausages that he used as part of a special at his restaurant.

1734 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-391-4238
contact: Rina Edwards

Parma Sausage Products on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

Loom: Not food, but this place is so adorable. Need fabric? Cute cards? Buttons? Go.

2124 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
412-586-4346
www.loomshowroom.com

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

The Pittsburgh Popcorn Company: If you only make one stop through the Strip District, make it this one. Well, this and Penn Mac. But this was my FAVORITE stop. I got a small bag of the salted caramel popcorn (which I think was a special that week), and my god, I wish I would've bought 10 more. It's not that caramel popcorn that is like melted down and coats everything and doesn't really taste like caramel. It's instead these chunks of caramel melted right on top of salted popcorn. This has ruined every other salted caramel for me, because it couldn't get better than this. My mouth is literally watering thinking about this. Perfect balance, perfect flavor. Perfect.

209 21st Street
Pittsburgh PA 15222
412-281-5200
www.pghpopcorn.com

Pittsburgh Popcorn Co. on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

Pittsburgh Strip District

Thin Man: Final stop! Joel and I got sandwiches to go. So, it's probably not exactly like it would have been had I eaten it just made. I ordered the "Thin Man," which is their signature sandwich. It has chicken liver mousse, local bacon, frisee, red wine vinaigrette and baguette. I thought this was OK. Maybe my palate isn't refined enough. But. It was OK.

50 21st Street 
Pittsburgh PA 15222
http://www.thinmansandwichshop.com/#home

Thin Man Sandwich Shop on Urbanspoon

Pittsburgh Strip District

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

All work property of Candace Nelson. Powered by Blogger.